Sunday, June 25, 2006

Goodbye Spin

Current mood: disappointed
Category: Music

One of my longest relationships has come to an end. It's really not a teary goodbye, because I haven't been happy with it in some time. With the past two issues my favorite magazine of old had put the final nail in the coffin with me in their new format change. I opened my mailbox to find my final issue ever of Spin had Beyonce on the cover. My gateway into the world of "alternative" music (or indie now-a-days) has been slammed shut in my face with a picture of a scantaly clad sexpot on the cover of my MUSIC magazine. Nick Duerden goes on to proclame "Crazy In Love" as one of the greatest pop songs. Not of that month, or year, but ever. What? Are you kidding me? Have Spin editors lost their mind?

This is the magazine I have subscribed to since I was 15 and a reader since 14. And now, after 11 years we are divorcing with me recieving none of the assets, or the lake house. This is the magazine that kept me up to date on all my favorite bands that no other mag wanted to touch and also turned me on to bands and artists that I never would have otherwise heard of. One that comes to mind almost immediatly is Liz Phair, whose Whip Smart CD is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Along with the cover issue that made me ill, they have started to focus on the top party spots across the country, as well as give Dashboard Confessional's new album 4 stars. Yuck, you've got to be kidding. It's gone down the road of Rolling Stone.

It's a damn good thing that Paste not only has a great magazine complete with music and DVD's in the rag (how awesome?) but it is so well written it's almost scary. They also have a hell of a podcast, which I would highly recommend. So, goodbye Spin, it's been a wonderful run and I'll always remember you as my first and will hold a special place in my heart.

And no, we can't be friends...

Currently listening :
Siamese Dream
By Smashing Pumpkins
Release date: By 27 July, 1993

8:37 PM - 3 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Stephanie

Beyonce is a skanky bitch and Dashboard Confessional are whiney assholes. I say good riddance!

Posted by Stephanie on Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 9:02 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Molly

Try Relix instead...I think you'd like it!

Posted by Molly on Friday, July 07, 2006 at 7:23 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

Check my front page

(It's been up there awhile, but thanks!!)

Posted by Zach on Friday, July 07, 2006 at 4:02 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: