Monday, February 9, 2009

Happy Through the Sadness

My wife and I like to hang out and watch award shows. She likes to see who is wearing what and I like to criticize and make fun of everyone on the show. Tonight was no exception, but the night wasn't without them.

Robert Plant (who is doing his best Cowardly Lion style) and Allison Krauss picked up a couple Grammys, including album of the year. If you haven't downloaded or purchased 'Raising Sand' in the last year, you're missing out. This collaboration, which includes the front man from arguably my favorite band of all time, has been on my radar since it was announced. I waited with eager anticipation to actually pay full price for it on iTunes. A rarity this day in age. I didn't want some crappy leaked demos.

The fact that this project won some hardware tonight isn't a huge surprise as the album has been a critical darling since it hit the airwaves. I was surprised it won album of the year however. Last year another surprise took place when Herbie Hancock walked away with album of the year beating out the likes of (thank God) Amy Winehouse. Coldplay or Lil' Wayne seemed poised to win tonight, as the Grammys are notorious for picking something obvious one year, and picking a dark horse the next, but never two years in a row. Thanks for keeping me coming back.

Other than the few wins by Plant and Krauss, it was a downer of a year. Coldplay beating Metallica for rock performance of the year, John Mayer still being alive and well, and the attack of the Disney kids. Luckily for all the pre-pubescent fans, CBS front loaded the show with the Brothers Jonas and Hanna Montana, but not before they threw in a little faux-lesbianism with Katie Perry singing "I Kissed a Girl" which is the best ode to bi-curious activity since Jill Sobule's 90's classic (the video featured Fabio, remember? plus it's a better song) of same name. I'm sure old Jill is pissed her song will probably be erased from most of the record books thanks to Perry.

Not more than 30 minutes after saying to my wife that Coldplay looked like a homeless version of The Beatles from their Sgt. Pepper era, one of the band members not named Chris Martin apologized to Paul McCartney for ripping off his style he created 42 years earlier. I'm sure Sir Paul was flattered.

The night's biggest abomination, other than Kid Rock, was Keith Urban and John Mayer sharing the stage with blues legends B.B. King and Buddy Guy. Why King continues to keep Mayer around is astounding. Maybe he is trying to subtly tell him he has the potential to be a solid blues musician, rather than a James Taylor-esque whinny douche bag who writes songs for middle aged women, destined for elevators around the globe.

Equally horrifying, at least to me, was Kanye West. What the fuck man? You used to be a solid socially conscious MC and hella producer. Now you look like an extra from "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo." Sad, sad, sad.

While waiting for the show to start, and milling around the house, I overheard from my wife's E! pregame show that Chris Brown and Rhianna were unable to make it to the show as they were doing their best Ike and Tina Turner impression. Good on ya kids, pop music needs a little controversy. So I say take the black eye and scratch marks, because I'm getting sick of hearing about Nick Jonas and his purity ring. Like he's not pulling in ass like an NBA player. Give me a break.

Whitney Houston gave out the first award for best R&B Performance, won by the incredible Jennifer Hudson, and is still showing signs of the Bobby Brown affect. I guess crack and prescription painkillers take awhile to run their course.

All in all, it was a great show to sit back and text my sister complaints and shared grievances. It's good to know that someone out there shares the same twisted thought process as yours truly. Next up, Oscar Gold!!

1 comment:

Scowl Face said...

Oh I can't wait for the Oscar's...Is it just me or is Slumdog Millionaire overrated?