Friday, June 18, 2010

Blah Blah Blog

Limbo seems to be a word I am all too familiar with. It has either been moving to Kansas City and transitioning away from life in Sioux Falls or working a nine to five in the hopes that some day I will be able to do something for a living that I actually enjoy. Because, let's be honest, it is difficult to get up every day and be excited about working a job on the phone. I have no one but to blame but myself, as I have been easily talked out of working at a retail store location for the company that employs me.

This fall as I enter the season of my senior year, I hope to make a transition academically. Well, not so much the academic side of being a student, but what I do with my "free" time while there. My profession of choice when I exit college is to find a job as an assistant sports information director or maybe sans assistant. The guys that run the SID office at my school have agreed to take me under their wing. I'm feeling pretty good about the idea of getting back to more writing. Something that was severely lacking last year as sports editor for the campus newspaper.

My core classes for school have pretty much concluded. Now it is all a matter of wading through electives and a few other requirements. So it continues. Waiting for the next big thing to happen. I'm just hoping that this jumping from lily pad to lily pad does not continue to the point of me just waiting to transition to death eventually. I'm positive this is just the outcry of someone who is tiring of juggling 15 credit hours of school along with a 40 hour a week job that consists of telling people how much I understand their shortcomings.

I stayed up tonight partaking in an activity I used to really enjoy. Reading about World War II on the Internet. With the advent of Wikipedia, it has watered down the thoughts and opinions of everyone from former U.S. military vets to Holocaust deniers who post their thoughts on Angelfire constructed websites, but it still works. Tonight I focused on the bombing of Dresden and asked myself, "was an attack of this magnitude necessary? Did the Allies use sound strategical logic bombing a cultural center rather than focusing on the factories on the outskirts of town?" All this pondering, while still maintaining my status as everyone's favorite commenting asshole on Facebook.

I know why I stay up late at night. I know why I chose to stay in the job that I am in while I am preparing for something else. A quick note, I would have an interest in staying when I'm done with school if I am presented with an opportunity that doesn't make me feel like I only needed a middle school education to perform my tasks. I digress...

I seem to be afraid of what the next day will bring. I force myself to stay awake because I know something is around the corner that is making me anxious. I don't know what that is, but it seems like it's out there. Maybe it's because I've worked a succession of jobs that do not engage me mentally and intellectually. Maybe I'm so adjusted to the ho-hum mundane worker bee mentality that I'm getting nervous about the prospect of becoming the equivalent of Moses emerging out of the desert after 40 years.

Anyway. Time to actually face down my bed and the prospect of waking up again to watch the USA play Slovenia!

No comments: