Monday, June 29, 2009

A Minor Self-Indulgence of Sorts

Sometimes you realize you're in a place you didn't think you'd end up in. Kansas City isn't a world away from where I grew up in South Dakota, however some days you get little reminders you aren't where you came from.

I did (willingly) give up my friends and family to relocate. In the end, it was for the best. I'm very happy with my life right now. I'm doing well at a job that is finally flexible to my school schedule, which I'm doing ever better at. So, to say I miss my old home would probably be something a person with zero perspective in the middle of a great situation would say.

I do miss portions of it though. Tomorrow some old friends are staying with my wife and I. They're coming back through Kansas City from St. Louis so they can follow and catch their beloved Minnesota Twins. 'Circle Me Bert' signs be damned, we will be joining them.

I have friends here. I have good friends here. But their arrival reminds me, even though the relationships aren't what they were 10 or even 15 years ago, I had potentially lifelong friends back home. Them, along with some others, I see sless than the seasons change in the year.

Most people will take a visit like this and just enjoy the time. I'm not saying I won't, because I've been looking forward to this for awhile whether anyone else was or not. But for some reason I've never been able to escape my ability to draw out the darker side of most any situation. I'm not sure what this says about me, and with most of my posts being very self referential, I'll back down a bit and spare you all the self-analyzing boredom my own wife can't even stomach.

So, here's to a good night off with some old friends at a baseball game and my house while I tame the same old same old.

No comments: