Sunday, February 19, 2006

High Infidelity

Current mood: contemplative
Category: Life

Not just the cleverly named title of a popular RED Speedwagon album, it seems to be the main topic of the show that I just finished watching. Seems like everytime you turn around you see this subject becoming more and more out in the open. Is it because it happens so often? I mean, for every 5 relationships that you've all been in, how many did this subject come up? I guess personally speaking I have never had to deal with this. At least not to my knowledge, meaning in every relationship I've ever been in I have never been cheated on, and I have never cheated on those that I have been with. However, like I said, not to my knowledge. Is it better to not know? I guess this would be a question better reserved for those that have had this subject presented to them out in the open.

So what do you do exactly to remedy this situation? If you're an honest and good person but just a poor judge of character you could fall victim to something like this and be non the wiser. Sometimes I wonder if that's happened to me. Then again, I've always fancied myself a good judge of character. I'm very selective in who I chose to be with, and have always had a knack to figure someone out within five minutes of meeting them. The older I get the more accute the sense seems to become.

You could say that trust is a big issue for me. I've never been one to start off with 100% trust in someone. For some time now it's something that you had to earn with me, it wasn't just handed out. Maybe that's why I'm so closed to people and have never really had an urge to be friends with as many people as possible. Even to some of my closest friends, I'm sure I'm somewhat of an enigma at times. I'm sure that's probably a bad thing. I really have only truely opened up with a few people in my life, and previously it was spotty at times. I would show parts of myself but never really show my full hand so I always had something for myself. I guess I've always worried about getting worked over or stepped on. Most days I still feel like I'm finding myself.

Watching TV, movies, and reading books it seems like it's always sex sex sex. Don't get me wrong, I like it as much as the next guy, who doesn't right? Well, it's getting to the point where a 25 year old guy thinks that it's getting a little too saturated out there. Everything I see has an angle to it seemingly. It makes you feel and believe that most people can't get enough of it and will do anything to get it and screw (literally) over anyone they love to get what they want. You see, in that episode (Grey's Anatomy) tonight, this is the big thing I had a problem with...

Yes, forgivness is something that even Jesus teaches you (not personally of course) as far back as Sunday school. However, when it comes to the subject mentioned above, I find it wrong that the main character, Meredith held her father accountable for leaving when she was a child. When in fact, it was her mother that had an affair and caused the split. That's an awefully black and white way to look at it, however not knowing the other backstory or history, I'm not sure that I really care. I've always been black and white when it came to me and my relationships. It's always been "if you cheat, you're gone. Not teary goodbye, no excuses, and no explainations. You're just gone, end of story." Now maybe that's conjured up a certain amount of honesty with past relationships, or it's made them more aware to be more careful of what they do behind my back. Why have I always seen the worst in people, and when I don't have an ounce of evidence to prove that, why have I tried to fabricate things in my head?

I wish I had the answers to these questions, I guess my ability to throw myself at most people with complete honesty may just be irreprehensibly damaged. Most days I feel like it can't be repaired. Like I said, I wish I had the answers. My question is why could something like this be seen as something so forgivable. My opinion using tonights episode as an example? I think the doctor from New York needs to go home and move on with his life, because trying to take a man's wife is something that is inexcusable. I think that the Doctor's Sheppard need to work on their marriage and forget about their past indiscretions and repair themselves. Yes, I know saying that Derek should forgive Addison goes against what I'm saying here, because personally I wouldn't, but that's just me. And Meredith needs to forget about what she had with Dr. McDreamy and make nice, somewhat dumb and naive George a happy man. As for the rest of the cast? I think they're all headed in the right direction. As far as playing Dr. Phil to a group of Sunday night TV characters? Let's just say I've had a long weekend and I need to analyze something other than finances.

Final Springerish words? When you meet someone and you say that you love them and you either want to have a serious relationship or want to marry that person, make sure they are the right person. Because relationships that lead to infidelity are relationships that were never meant to happen in the first place, or last as long as they have. If you're thinking about cheating? At least have the decency to leave the other person first. Grow a spine, be a man, or a woman for that matter. Bottom line, like I said, just make sure they are the right person, because if you do cheat, it's not just on that other person, it's on your own integrity as well. So take care of yourselves and each other.

"So how was that?" //walks of stage and off camera...

Currently listening :
Good News For People Who Love Bad News
By Modest Mouse
Release date: By 06 April, 2004

10:02 PM - 3 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Derek

i think you watch that show too damn much, thats what i think foo!

Posted by Derek on Monday, February 20, 2006 at 8:09 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

So I just finally got around to reading this for the bajillionth time, but this time I think it actually sunk into my sickly head. In all seriousness, I agree with what you wrote !00%, but I do have to say, man you love that show a bit too much. Haha! But it's cute, and that's why I love ya so!

Posted by Stephanie on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 5:23 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

You don't need to agree with Derek, it's illegal in some states

Posted by Zach on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 at 9:21 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: