Monday, February 5, 2007

Happy Super Bowl Monday!!!

Current mood: cynical
Category: Sports

So it's the day after the Super Bowl and many will argue today while nursing hangovers that today should be a national holiday. While this may seem like a good idea to most, I think we're talking about starting something that will empower, or give too much empowerment to entertainers. Football players are athletes getting paid to do a job that they happen to love. A job that pays very well and that provides a lot of viewing pleasure for the masses. But this would be like making the day after the Oscar's a national holiday. Holiday's need to be reserved for remembering something special and integral to our country (or the world), not a sporting event.

I like football, I love football, but to make it a national holiday is ridiculous. All the hype and money and TV time that goes into one game to which it makes the actual game and afterthought is insanity. I get so tired of hearing about the Super Bowl in the two weeks building up to it that I almost don't want to watch it. I've heard every outcome, every possibility, and every scenario. It leaves no surprises and no excitement. I even stopped listening to the radio at my desk the last week and a half to escape. And to take me away from sports talk radio is like taking a bottle from a baby. Or cocaine from Kate Moss.

The "controversy" over the halftime show is even worse. Complaining that Prince looked like he was masturbating with his guitar is taking griping about an artist a little too far. Sure, boobiegate was something that will live on in TV blooper history. "Remember the time that black tit popped out on TV???" Too much for middle America to handle I'm sure. But people complaining they had to remove their children from the room because of Prince simulating masturbation? Come on, give me a fucking break. If you have a child 11 to 12 or under they don't know what he's doing. If they are 12 or older, chances are they'd be doing it in their rooms in a couple hours anyway. So what's the harm in watching a 40 something Prince do it with a guitar? And the fact that this is happening to CBS again is all the more hilarious. I mean come on, didn't the person or people involved who booked Prince or ok'ed Prince to perform familiarize themselves at all with the last, gee I don't know, 25 fucking years he's been performing on a stage?? Has it been so long that we forgot Prince is a little controversial? Or have we been too desensitzed by Paris Hilton having sex with her boyfriend in night vision or by Britney Spears showing off her no-no parts for every papparzzi in the greater Los Angeles area? Or did we just forget that a guy who posed practically nude in the late 80's for God's sake on an album cover is capable of jerking off a guitar in front of several hundred million people?

Gratuitous NFL Fan Complaint Paragraph...

I'd like the Super Bowl more if my team were activly competing to be in it. Sadly, they seem to be content to wallow in the NFC West for the time being. For the record, as I sit at my desk wearing my 49ers t-shirt, I'm at least happy to say that there is a gilmmer of hope for the next season. They seem to really be trying out there, God bless 'em.

Back to my point...

Also, the other thing that is burining me up is ESPN's coverage after the game. Not more than 1 hour after the game was over they were already talking about who was going to win next year!! Jesus God, are you kidding me? Are our attention span's so short that we have to focus on what will happen next year no more than 60 minutes after the culmination of the season has just been completed. It almost makes me want to stop watching professional football. It's just the whole thing kind of stinks that it's just a perpetual motion to which there doesn't seem to be an end. Let the Colts have their moment in the sun and pick back up when I start to care about the NFL again which is the NFL Draft, and even then I'll forget about it until training camp and the yearly release of Madden football for my Xbox.

Oh well, at least now I have the NBA, Baseball, and NASCAR* to watch.

*Just kidding, NASCAR sucks, just in case you didn't know already.

Currently listening :
Broken Boy Soldiers
By The Raconteurs
Release date: 16 May, 2006

No comments: