Thursday, March 22, 2007

It's The Same Old Song And Dance

Current mood: worried
Category: News and Politics

No, it's not just a line from a Motley Crue song off Dr. Feelgood. It's the same issue that everyone hears everyday, whether we choose to or not. Most of my friends on MySpace that will read this entry are of the same mind when it comes to our opinions on politics and the state of world affairs. Most people I know watch the Daily Show and laugh about it the next day at work, and some even check out some real political news outlets that spawn some in depth conversation. If you are my age, it's almost a shot in your foot to agree in any way with our President and his policies and actions (or non actions). How many people that decry Bush actually know why they do it? Or do most just follow what the person next to them is doing, or just follow the smartest person they know in their group? How many political agendas are shaped from someone elses opinion? I know that I have fired off a lot of questions, and I don't have all the answers to them. I'm not sure that's why I'm even writing this because I know what I believe and it's based on what I have discovered on my own.

Every day there seems to be something new to roll out of Washington D.C. There seems to be no end to the constant scandals or the political unrest that resonates throughout the country. Are things coming to critical mass? Or will it just be another let down from oversaturation bred by 24/7 mass media channels vying for ratings rather than the truth? Ah, more questions. Maybe my point is starting to develop a little bit and emerge, slightly. Who has something constructive to say? Where do you even begin to find the right answers? Some days I feel overly cynical and think that everyone has an angle or agenda. It is almost disheartening to feel that way and almost a sad state of affairs to be 27 and have an Andy Rooney outlook on the political climate in the United States. Or would that make me a 27 year old Al Roker? I guess I would be happy about it then, ok scratch that. I'm neither happy or black.

I can tell you this much, I have more respect for someone that can tell me why they support the occupation in Iraq, incredible government spending, and their unwaivering support for George W. Bush than someone who says they hate him just because he's "stupid" and can't really decide why he is. I don't use quotes that often, and I'm not going to here either, however I will paraphrase an individual who is one half of what I think to be the funniest and most straightforward comic duo that is still relevant today, Trey Parker. The South Park guy? Yes, that Trey Parker. If I'm not mistakened, it was in a Rolling Stone issue where he said that it isn't punk anymore to say that Bush sucks, and the only way to get attention in a crowed room is to say you are pro-Bush. There is a shred of truth to every joke. Even if the joke is a thinly veiled attempt to be somewhat ironic. Not that definition of ironic, the other one you aren't thinking about. The point is that people say "Bush sucks" just to fit in and not be singled out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Bush supporter. I didn't vote for him either time, and can count on one hand the number of Republicans I've voted for. That isn't to say that my love for Democrats is unwaivering, by and large because most of the federal Democratic representative ranks are filled with big, giant pussies. For the record, I've always wanted to use the line "big, giant pussies" in an entry for a very long time and not have it be "dirty." Excuse me while I have a moment... Ok, thanks for that, it's appreciated. People need to wake up and realize why they are on which ever side of the political fence they are on, rather than decide which side to be on. Anyone can choose black or white, Demorcrat or Republican, Yankees or Red Sox, but the real thinkers are the ones that can tell you why they choose what they do.

Rather than spiral into a rant or get preachy about where my beliefs lie (ha), I'll just briefly say that in some ways I am a bleeding heart liberal. I feel no shame in that. Bill O'Riley and Sean Hannity will have you believe that being "liberal" is somehow weak. I'd like to say to them that it's hogwash. Yes, that's right, hogwash. But I'm not 100% in agreement with the ideals of a typical undying liberal. Not even within specific issues. Here are a few examples without going into too many details (ha, again). I believe in helping the poor and less fortunate, however I don't believe in the abuse of the system i.e. people that make false disability claims or welfare claims. At that point your aren't less fortunate, you're just a criminal. Here's another hot topic, I don't believe in abortion as means to birth control. Sorry, I just don't. Most of my friends disagree with this because they like the idea of being Pro-Choice and a woman's right to choose. It makes people feel independent, why I'm still not sure. How many of these free thinking women consult the men that impregnated them that would maybe want to care for this hypothetical child? I do however, believe in abortion when it is a life or death situation. Even rape or incest. I also believe that abortion should not be outlawed. Confused yet? Most people usually are. I just believe in the responsibility of the parties involved. That's all. If you get an abortion you are basically admitting (in my opinion, before you get all uneasy and out of control) that you are not responsible to be having sex in the first place. It's almost (almsot) like an armed robber being let off the hook because he wasn't prepared to serve 15 to 20 years in prison because he just "didn't really consider thinking that end of it through." Did I say I wasn't going to get preachy? Sorry. This doesn't mean if you do get an abortion for the reasons I disagree with I'm going to judge you, since what you do is none of my business. It's just like me disagreeing with a friend of mine which NFL team is better all time. We don't respect each other less because of it, we just live in "agree to disagree land" and go on about our lives. Just to note the 49ers ARE better all time than the Cowboys, but I digress...

So, you see the interesting dichotomy of my beliefs? I don't think I'm unlike most people in our country. I think most people seperate how they feel on complex issues into smaller, easier to digest ingredients that make up said issues. What the media and politicians (most, or just some) want you to do is be on one side or the other. You're with us or against us, do or die! When it comes down to the end of the day it doesn't really have to be like that at all. So the next time you throw up your hands in frustration and join the apathy party, remember that's exactly what "the man" wants you to do. The only true democratic system is one where the people stay informed and make decisions based on personal judgement, accountability and belief. That's my own little personal theory. Idealistic ain't it?

Finally, keep in mind the words of a wise man when wondering what you believe in... "Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

And only I would end a political entry on a Star Wars quote.

Currently listening :
Friend Opportunity
By Deerhoof
Release date: By 23 January, 2007

1:35 AM - 4 Comments - 5 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Stephanie

whoa. that's too long for me.

Posted by Stephanie on Thursday, March 22, 2007 at 6:59 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Molly

Me too

Posted by Molly on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 7:42 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Cory

Bush is stupid!

And dammit, I was expecting a Motley Crue concert review when I opened this entry. It's the s.o.s. every time.

I hate to say it, but I generally agree with you on everything here. I've had thoughts along the same lines, and yes, I am registered as a Republican (hope you knew, now you do) and am on the conservative side of the fence, although I'm a hypocrite and usually act the other way around. I definitely believe that people should be accountable for their own actions, and that there's most likely a reason why they are where they are- but not always a self induced one. I'll certainly sit down and listen to their story, probably believe it and likely even hand them a tissue. Huh... that's probably the reason I still have my roomates. Chad won't read this :) Hee hee. I like your little analogy on the abortion topic, and would have to agree with you 100% on that one. Couldn't have said it better myself, man. No really, I couldn't have. But I'm glad you are a thinker and took the time to express all this.

Posted by Cory on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 7:55 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


J.F. Whitaker

Okay...so let's say I'm on my way to get an abortion with a friend of mine who's had one before. Seeing as how said friend has already experienced the wonderful world of abortions, it's fair for me to ask "hey, how was your abortion?" Right? So the friend says, "yeah, the abortion was really good...I highly suggest that you follow through with your mere thought of getting one." And so I do. And I enjoy it...but feel a little bloated and gassy afterwards. Who's fault is that? Man...that sandwich WAS really good.

I generally don't dabble in political speak, but I will now. I honestly think that a majority of people (not only in the United States, but the world over) are stupid monkey puppets. That majority truly thinks that they need to belong to one side or the other. Therefore, those people adopt an entire set of principles to live by which is just fucked up. I mean, I don't even want to begin to dive into philosophy topics here, but I am personally of the opinion that you are obviously born with some natural instincts...breathing, eating, blinking, etc (I don't really know if any of those three things fall under the definition of "instinct" or not). However, at some point in life, no matter how your mother/father/whoever raise you, it is necessary to develop your own theory regarding how things are and how they should be.

This is where a lot of people seem to slip up. I believe it is due to pure laziness. Many people are just too lazy to take the time to think, and THEY are the ones who are monkeys fucking up everyone else's stab at evolving.

Posted by J.F. Whitaker on Friday, March 23, 2007 at 9:30 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: