Monday, March 26, 2007

Sweet Shame 'O Mine

Current mood: anxious
Category: Music

My fiancé thinks I should be on "I'm From Rolling Stone 2" if they so happen to make a second season. Without a degree in journalism I'm not so sure if I would have much of a chance, even though she tells me it's not required based on the qualifications of some of the cast. Although sex appeal and a healthy alcohol problem seem to be desirable, I am sadly and obviously lacking in both departments. Despite all of this, my days as an amateur music critic are far from over. I don't really have anything loaded up that I would like to review in this entry; however I would like to jive a little bit about music in general here at first. Then I would like to move on to a more exciting and specific topic.

I know that I've written quite a bit regarding music that is poisoning the airwaves with a sense of humor and albums you should be listening to with a desperate pitch. A lot of my readers are musically in tune with what I simply call "good music" so the entries usually do not fall on deaf ears. It's a fairly revolutionary title that I coined all on my own, and it's relevant because I say it is. It's my blog and I'll claim what I want to. All humor aside, I really like the musical groove that I've settled into and feel like I really know how to separate between what is "good music" and what is a fucking horrible abomination of man. Everyone has a moment of musical maturity in their lives, and while I've been listening to "good music" for quite some time I think now I'm qualified to tell you if you are a true fan or just musically retarded.

Now with all of that being said, the album that I am waiting to really sink my teeth into is the new Guns 'n Roses album that is due out sometime between now and my death. Shocked? I'm actually quite serious. The more and more I believed Axl Rose to be a complete and utterly out of touch buffoon-like rock dinosaur, the more and more I start to see the man's genius. How many people will actually be excited because it's "Guns n Roses" and how many people will be excited just to see what the hell Axl has been up to the past decade and a half? Color me intrigued and put me in the later category.

I liked Guns 'n Roses for about 30 months between the ages of nine and eleven and a half. I loved Appetite for Destruction because my mom hated it and all the older kids in my neighborhood liked it and played it constantly. Even on Easter. Then I hated them because my Mom ended up liking "November Rain." The same way I stopped liking Nirvana partially (I also had other reasons) because she asked if she could borrow the Unplugged in New York CD. Thanks again Mom. Some days I wish I was younger when Marilyn Manson came out (provided I actually could have liked him, with those chances being very slim) just to see if my Mom would have listened to him because she was trying to relate to me. That would have been fun, no?

Back to the point, I am more than somewhat excited to hear "Chinese Democracy" just to hear the complete album. I've heard single tracks, but I'm quite sure that's not enough. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary, and I don't expect to pay for it either. No amount of money could recoup the expenses that have been poured into it that the world is willing to pay, so I feel justified in pirating the soon/never to be released album. Sorry Axl. I am expecting to hear an average rock album that I'll probably listen to a couple times, write about it for the 5 people that read this blog and never listen to it again.

The point of all of this is asking the question and continuing to examine why I am so interested in the new Guns 'n Roses album. I'm sure you've asked yourself that no less than 5 times while reading this. With what I am into musically, not too many people would suspect that I am following the schedule and constant delays of this long awaited (really?) album with a healthy does of anticipation, like that of a small child waiting for Christmas. I know it may sound strange, and you may make fun of me for it. However I feel the foresight of Axl Rose taking control of my musical tastes and rationale for seemingly no apparent reason. So, cross your fingers folks, and get ready for a totally super awesome amateur review of "Chinese Democracy" coming out later this year. Or in 2047.

Currently listening :
Aurora Borealis
By Cloud Cult
Release date: By 08 June, 2004

6:39 PM - 6 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Zach

Derek's comment was removed because it would upset my Fiance'

Posted by Zach on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 7:30 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

what did he say? now I want to know!

Posted by Stephanie on Monday, March 26, 2007 at 8:49 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Derek

i dont remember leaving a comment, what did i say again?

Posted by Derek on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 9:35 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

good derek, good smart derek

Posted by Zach on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 10:14 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MontERNa

But he punched Tommy Hilfiger...OH WAIT, he IS a genious!

Posted by MontERNa on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 4:57 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

See...

Posted by Zach on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 at 5:01 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: