Monday, April 16, 2007

Odds and Sods

Current mood: energetic
Category: Life

Since I made the "announcement" that the lion share of my blogging for the next six months or so would be on my Red Sox blog, I haven't had much to say on here because I focus a lot of my time on baseball. You may also enjoy me being taunted by a certain friend and fellow baseball blogger because I still like Soundgarden. Yes, that Soundgarden. I guess I can take that since I did call him out in a blog of mine recently for liking Deep Blue Something and other assorted garbage in high school. Anyway, since it's been a little while, maybe a week or so, I have some odds and ends type things that have been on my mind that I would like to post for your reading enjoyment.

I've realized that TV sort of sucks. This isn't anything new mind you, but while watching TV with Stephanie last night and then watching a show I actually like on my DVR tonight I'm starting to realize the mostly vapid TV schedule is extremely disappointing. The show I was watching tonight is "30 Rock" and it's one of the only intellegently written shows on television. It's funny the only two other sitcoms that I like are on the same night which are "My Name Is Earl" and "The Office." Not only is Alec Baldwin a laughfest and a riot on this show, Tina Fey is hot. Like, really hot. I've had this thought ever since she took on the "Weekend Update" duties on Saturday Night Live. As much as I liked Norm MacDonald and as much as I loved to hate Colin Quinn, Fey was a nice departure from the dudes. The second and third reasons for liking her so much is that she is smart and funny. Those three are a rare combination for women that are on TV these days. Isn't it awesome that the first reason for liking her is because she's hot? Men will probably never change.

Two major events have happend in the last 10 days. Don Imus has called a New Jersey womans basketball team "nappy headed ho's" and someone in Blacksburg, Virginia popped and killed a few dozen people today. I could have written an entire entry devoted to both subjects, however if any of you readers watch the news I'm sure the saturation in print, online, and on TV will be enough for you. I only have a couple things to say. I find it funny the only time the Reverend Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton show up are when a white person says something stupid about the black community. It is sort of nice to see now that Imus has lost his job that the focus is being turned around on opportunists such as these and see where they really stand on "bettering the black community." I don't feel I have much place to comment on this, since I'm not black, however it will be interesting as an observer to see how things fall for them. Jackson and Sharpton that is, not black people. I am dreading how the next several weeks to few months will transpire for those directly involved with the Virginia Tech shootings today. I know it's tragic and very unfortunate and a lot of families lost a lot today. I don't want to seem so callous that I will be inconvenienced the next few weeks because we as American's will be playing the blame game and how much I hate that, but I will be. That in itself is a sad situation and more sad when you consider how that commentary is a reflection on where American's stand on stories in the media. It's a horrible thing when ANYONE is murdered, not just a highly concentrated amount at one time.

Quick Hits
- I know it's been awhile since one of my widely requested "Things I Hate" entries, but don't fret, I have more coming soon. I'm also deciding on what to write for my next "Favorite Albums" also.

- For those that refuse to read my Sox blog, I'm quite please that they are off to a strong 7 and 4 start and lead the AL East by .5 games. We'll see how they fair against the number one and two teams from said AL East in the next six days.

- In other sports news, the 2007 NFL Draft is in less than two weeks and am I the only one that is not as excited as the rest of the sports world? As the years tick by the more and more I fall out of love with the NFL. Maybe it's because fucking everyone and their dog likes it now. That's usually about the time I check out.

- Here is sort of something I hate. The misuse of the word "irony" "ironic" or "ironical." This may be the most overused word where people really don't know what it means. When you show up late to work, that's not ironic. When Alanis Morissette gets 10,000 spoons when all she needs is a knife, that's not irony either kids. Please do me and everyone that understands the English language to a high school level and grab a dictionary and study up on the definition.

- I've realized that I have less than 6 months until I'm a married man and I have absolutely zero reservations about marriage. Is that bad? I personally don't think so, however most people find this to be strange.

Currently listening :
These Friends of Mine
By Rosie Thomas
Release date: By 13 March, 2007

11:32 PM - 1 Comments - 1 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Derek

thats just how you know its love. plus you've had sex with enough of the wrong girls already anyways. compared to you, im a freakin monk. so... is matt throwing you a bachelor party, because if u leave it to me or cory you know it wont get done, we hate strippers, lol, and jason probably wont have time, like usual, i know we are horrible friends.

Posted by Derek on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 at 7:49 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: