Monday, December 3, 2007

Hanging Around

Current mood: sick
Category: Blogging

I'm sick today. My wife had the stomach flu on Friday and was pretty much out of commission the whole weekend. I thought I was in the clear until this morning and I came down with the same thing. I spent the entire day purging my breakfast and finishing season one of Dexter. I wish I had Showtime so I could watch season two. Oh well. My Dad had a Showtime t-shirt when I was a kid.

I haven't really posted anything of a serious matter in quite some time. I think it's been about three or four months. I used to have a healthy readership, at least that's what my little hit counter-thinger told me. I never really got into the blogging business for "the hits" or the fame and the glory that so many people expect. Writting is just something I would do in my spare time anyway. Even without people to read about it. Because as we all know, most of my life is fairly ordinary as are my thoughts.

I've been spending the past few months maintaining my sports blogs. One because my favorite baseball team won the World Series and a second because my favorite college football team underachieved all season, fired and then hired a new coach. I have a lot of accessible information to regurgitate to the public.

I must confess, I've been playing around with the idea of completely abandoning MySpace and Facebook, for that matter. Isn't not having a MySpace the new having a MySpace? I'm always looking to keep abreast of the newest trends among my age demographic.

I'm going to have even less time to juggle all of the little nooks and crannies I put my thoughts in starting in January. I'm going to go back to school to become a journalist. Or maybe I'll write PR for corporate swine. I guess it depends if my soul is for sale. I'm pretty sure it will be. Then I'll be happy to post in a few years on my MySpace blog about the wonders of corporate banking or meat packing. Maybe even drilling for oil in Alaska. Watch out, I'm pretty convincing.

It's December and it's only snowed in Missouri one time. It didn't even stick to the ground. I remember growing up in South Dakota and it hardly making it past Halloween before it snowed. My wife is convinced that it may never snow south of Iowa again. I told her to stop being such a goddamn hippy.

Anyway, I have really nothing better to do. My new issue of Paste hasn't been able to hold my interest since I got it in the mail last week. It's the December/January issue so you know it's one of those "countdown" issues. I fucking hate those.

It's like when Rolling Stone, possibly the most self-congratulatory magazine on the planet, took it upon themselves to name the best songs, artists and albums a few years ago. Rolling Stone, if you haven't figured this out yet, seems stuck in the late 60's or early 70's or reminding us how genius Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was, rather than finding the next great Gonzo (or, gasp! something different) journalist/political commentator/recreational drug captain. Rock and roll is dead indeed, however if putting Panic! At The Disco on the cover will keep their rag in heavy distribution and "relevant," so be it.

I've never seen a magazine posing as a music and entertainment source to be so blatantly liberal either. Don't get me wrong, I would consider myself liberal too, mostly. It's just become a monthly thing, and politics is a waste of time. Even though I talk alot about it. I subscribe to Rolling Stone for the musi...wait. I'm not sure why I pay for Rolling Stone to be completely honest. Back to countdown lists. The greatest artist of all time? Really? You really have to guess? The name of the magazine is the name of a...oh fuck it.

Bob Dylan is something of a conundrum for me. I like his music and recognize his brilliance just like John Lennon did. However, I am never short of stunned when it comes to the amount of people out there that are helplessly bound to the teat of one Robert Allen Zimmerman. I had this conversation with a friend of mine several months ago. We came to the determination that I like Bob Dylan the artist, but hate Bob Dylan the icon.

The biography that is currently playing across the country, "I'm Not There" is something that leaves me scratching my head. Google it or something it if you don't know what I'm talking about. Is it really necessary to have Cate Blanchett, Richard Gere or black kids play the part of Bob Dylan? In the same cotton-pickin' movie? Is Bob Dylan so much greater than Johnny Cash or Ray Charles that we can't have just one actor play him? I think Bob Dylan is a selfish asshole. And he has bad fingernails.

I saw Bob Dylan in concert a year ago a few weeks before I moved to Kansas City. It was at the ballpark where Sioux Falls' minor league baseball team plays. It was terrible. He sounded like shit and I felt sorry for him. I, felt sorry. For him. How absurd is that? I guess some things can be said for a career that has faded in such an unpropitious fashion. It was sad.

On that note, this concludes this blogcast for today. Be sure to leave your hate for the Dylan rant at the beep.

Currently listening :
Raising Sand
By Robert Plant and Alison Krauss
Release date: By 23 October, 2007

9:11 PM - 3 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

J.F. Whitaker

You're sick on so many levels, dude.

Posted by J.F. Whitaker on Monday, December 03, 2007 at 10:28 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

who you callin a hippie!?

Posted by Stephanie on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 7:21 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Derek

Its finally snowed here, about twice now in the last week. Its been getting later and later every year it seems, maybe that hippie wife of yours is on to something.... i think i might have even heard a polititian talking about this whole "global warming" thing..... huh....

Posted by Derek on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 at 8:43 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: