Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Planet Cool

I read the Drudge Report. That's 'read' in the present tense and not 'read' in the past like, Example: "Yeah Bob, I read Playboy for the articles one time and that's plenty for me." More like, "that's correct Bob, I read Playboy for the naked ladies." Hey, everyone should do it. Read conservative and liberal publications is what I meant, but Playboy as well. You can't be fair and balanced if you don't play on both sides of the fence, right? Although I don't think I'll be picking up a copy of Playgirl anytime soon. I draw the line at sexual preference.

So as I was perusing the conservative news aggregate, I came across a story about Al Gore profiteering off of his environmental speeches. As usual, I have issues with both sides here.

Number one, a conservative friendly news site, such as the one Matt Drudge runs, complaining about capitalism makes me laugh. You sure don't see them running stories and complaining about the price of oil or gas and how much money the suits at Exxon or BP make.

Number two, I've always sort of had a problem with Al Gore in general. Yes, I voted for him as Vice President in my 6th grade mock election back in 1992 and for President for real eight years later, but I always had bad dreams about it.

What's my problem with Gore you ask? Well, it's quite simple if you were alive in the 1980's or watch a lot of VH1's nostalgia programming. I like the fact he makes the environment and issue, because I do think it's important. I also like the fact he's out there for South Park to make fun of. What would we do without him to combat Manbearpig? But I digress.

I'm sure if you think and remember really hard, you'll recall his wife's name. Tipper Gore? It's too funny a name to just forget after the past seven years or so. Dig a little deeper and you may even remember a little something called the Parents Music Resource Center, or more famously, the PMRC.

Right now, Al Gore is seen as cool and hip and embraced by people that read Rolling Stone and are socially conscious. Back then, Gore was the establishment and the one who gave cause to his wife's complaints about dirty music and dirty music videos. Remember the clips of Frank Zappa, Dee Snider and even John Denver testifying before a "Senate Committee" about the danger that their music didn't put children in? Al Gore was up there trying to censor artists and warn parents about W.A.S.P. Well, we should have all been warned about W.A.S.P., but they're the exception because they suck so much.

Everyone loves Gore because he cares so much about the environment and he's trying to protect our kids and our kids' kids. Really? How much of it is Gore's need to raise global awareness and how much is reserved for finding a way to make money outside of political office? Something he clearly has little interest in these days.

I don't have a problem with Gore trying to make a shekel or two while telling people about disappearing polar bears or rising tides. If someone is willing to pay than that's fine with me. What I have an issue with is conservatives complaining about capitalism when the other side does it effectively and mass amounts of people thinking that certain individuals are hip and happening when they're anything but.

Some may think that Gore is a wolf in sheep's clothing, at least those that would rather he just shut up and go away and continue to get fat. I think he's still just a politician in activist clothing. He's heart could be in the right place, but he's still a giant douche. And as we all know, politics and voting and everything wrapped up in it is just a choice between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.


Currently listening :
Trees Outside the Academy
By Thurston Moore
Release date: 18 September, 2007

No comments: