Friday, March 6, 2009

Irish Eyes are Crying?

It's 1:55 a.m., it's Friday night for me, and I'm three and a half songs into the new U2 album and I don't like it. At all.

We'll just let that sink in for the few people that will read this. I had to stop my iPod because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm not sure if it's because musically I'm in a different place the past few weeks, or if it's because I'm so tired. I want to go to bed, but I need to write and play my guitar I'm dusting off. These Replacements songs are harder than I remember from a few years ago.

Back to Bono, The Edge and the gang. The gang meaning those other two guys most of you don't know the names of. Sometimes anonymity can be a good thing though. I think I'll start over from the beginning tomorrow. I did enjoy the past two albums from U2, even though "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" felt like sides three and four to "All That You Can't Leave Behind." At least they waited a few years to put part two of their "White Album" out. I guess that's unfair, that would mean "The Beatles" would sound the same track to track.

I'm sure this could be seen as blasphemous among my contemporaries. Maybe even treasonous. Maybe it's just not me anymore. It wasn't like, "hey this is sort of boring I'm going to listen to something else. Or nothing." It was more like "make it stop" and that could be telling me something. Who knows what for sure.

I like U2. Quite a bit. More so than most people who like the same music or have similar tastes as me. I thought they were done on their ABC special when they had a Spinal Tap moment, becoming stuck in a giant lemon in Latin America. You remember, it was their "Pop" Euro queer/Pink Floyd phase from the late nineties. Disclaimer: I don't have any beef with gay people. Just an expression to paint a picture.

Like I said, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow and we'll see. Look for a possible follow up. Also, a new computer can't come fast enough to our humble abode.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like it.

Scowl Face said...

I haven't listened to it yet...wasn't all that interested