Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Musical Ramblings

Current mood: groggy
Category: Music

Sometimes I like to write about certain subjects, one of them is music. It's something that I spend a lot of time not only listening to, but researching and studying. Anyone who knows me now knows that I have a deep appreciation for anything musical. Unless it has no substance or something that is not well crafted or thoughtless. Right now, there seems to be a lot of that going around. Painfully, I watched most of TRL today. I've decided that "pixie stick punk" (my phrase, thank you) seems to be the new boy band of the day. If you think about it, they just traded in the Abercrombie clothes of the late 90's and early 2000's and put on tight pants and got tattoo's. I won't deny that some of the songwritting is better, and that it seems to be a little more in depth than the "As long as you love me" schitck, however, I like to think I can see it for what it really is. I don't like to think of myself as a musical snob by any means, because I'll listen to most things to test the waters. However, I like what I like and I'll tell you what I dislike. I'm not that guy who's seen High Fidelity too many times and fancies himself a character from that movie.

You could say that I'm into your garden variety rock music. Maybe not the things you hear on the radio, but who am I kidding. The only rock on Sioux Falls radio is Motley Crue and Guns n Roses (still, I'm not kidding for my out of towners). Or classic rock, which I love because it's what I grew up on and it's a huge part of my musicall makeup. I will say that I was a Led Zeppelin fan back in the day, much to the scorn of most of my peers when I was a young chap. I was fearless though, as I said before, I like what I like. I still listen to some metal, but only when I lift, and I listen to hip-hop, but only when I wish I was black. What? Who doesn't these days right? Seriously, I would have to say that the hip-hop landscape isn't unlike the pop music terain (I still spell like a 3rd grader sometimes). You have to sift through the 50 Cents and the P-Diddy's (who I cannot stand, he is compeletly not of use anymore, anyone see the VMA's this year??) to get to the real MC's that have something to say. While most of it's commercialized, because hey, they make no bones about wanting to get "real big" or make money, unlike some rock counterparts who pretend to shun the dollar and the spotlight. I've only seen a handful of hip hop shows, but when I saw The Roots open for 311 last summer in Sioux City, I personally thought they blew them off the stage. Yes, I still sort of like 311, they have a place as one of my favorites, however...

I was at one of my favorite local establishments over the Christmas break and noticed a table of fellow graduates from Washington in 98. I'll tell you, it was just like being back in high school, because all.they.played.was.311 on the jukebox. I wonder how long it takes to get over one band? I'm not joking, the machine fired off at least 6 songs in a row, the bar was obviously annoyed. Not that I care much about the climate of other people's 311 threshold, it's just that I was getting a little irritated myself.

Now that I'm done with that tangent, I'm glad that I did get my iPod for Christmas because now that I'm over the 1000 song mark, it keeps my on my toes. Although I have been listening to a lot of Pavement lately, it's always good to mix it up. For all the complaining I did in the above paragraph, I still can't seem to let go of my mid-90's indie faves. Also see Liz Phair who is not her usual self these days. However, I'm not afraid to carry the flag for Ms. Phair.

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this long and somewhat boring diatribe, good for you. You've probably wasted about 10 minutes of your life that you can't charge me for

Currently listening :
Electric Circus
By Common
Release date: 10 December, 2002

No comments: