Thursday, August 30, 2007

Breakdown

Current mood: worried
Category: Life

Art is important in culture and a vital portion of society, any society. Art is also a double edged sword. She is a passive beauty queen and a belligerent harlot. She'll hold your hand and tell you she's there, but then she'll come home with you and you'll wake up the next day with nothing.

Most things that pass for art today are a poor excuse for that little three letter word that some of us choose to place stock in. Tying Britney Spears or Maroon 5's works to what most people consider good work is like a kick in the teeth to people like me. I'm not an art snob or anything, however I do judge like anyone else. That being said, I don't spend my time arguing the impact of postmodernism in the context of my own life, or even in the grand scheme of our society. I don't hang out in art museums, coffee shops or internet chat rooms or message boards discussing the relevance of any particular genre or subgenre of any form of art.

It's the wrong kind, or what is made out to be of that kind, is what can get us into trouble.

Popular culture, sports and media choke us to death. The swirl of intrigue and prospect of glimpsing into something that was never meant for us pulls the wool over our eyes with our own hands. For the most part, we spend only so much time learning when we are out in the world trying to make a living and raise a family. Don't get me wrong again, these things are important, however we put too much stock in them. The pop culture items of course, please by all means, raise your children. We use popular culture to tune out and desensitize ourselves to important issues in the world. We have enough going on in our own lives to have to put the time and energy into figuring out the ways of the world or even begin to try and make a difference in our community. We're too busy, too tired and too confused by the big big world and it's big time problems.

I've said before, popular culture and sports are important to me and they have their place. I even take the time to write about teams that hold a particular interest for me. There are other things that move my pulse as well, and I still take the time to make out what is going on in the world. While the Boston Red Sox earning a spot in the postseason is important to me, it actually bears no importance at all.

Current events and politics are not a waste of time. A lot of people my age will say that they are. The more you ignore the issues at hand the more you let go of what you already take for granted, and vast numbers of people that subscribe to that school of thought contribute to what I see as a growing problem in our society. This is the mass unplugging of American's from the happenings in their world, their country, their state and their communities.

Our apathy breeds mistrust and apprehension amongst ourselves. You can't talk to anyone without there being a disagreement. Everyone wants to be right, everyone wants to be rich and have their own sense of entitlement. No one seems to want to work for anything. Everyone wants to make a point, no one wants to prove their point. Too much interest in celebrities and what they wear and where they eat. It's a shame.

Do I like David Ortiz and what he does on the baseball field? Will I devour every statistic and fact about his baseball career? Yes. Will I Google him and try to find out what he does in his free time? Do I want to see his house or his cars? Do I want him hounded by the media so I can realize the minutia of David Ortiz? Absolutely not. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm not entirely sure. I'm just tired of watching everyone throw their attention away into and onto people and issues that will yield no return.

I get frustrated and built up inside and then I lose track. I get trampled under the feet of the people that I want to rise above.

I know we are all part of the problem. I think we can do more. I'm not trying to make a difference, I'm just trying to not get run over.

Currently listening :
Execution of All Things
By Rilo Kiley
Release date: By 08 October, 2002

8:18 PM - 1 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

J.F. Whitaker

Whoa, man...it's like...planet Earth, man. When you said the thing about, you know...like...getting, like...run...like...over, man. That was the right on, man. Right on.

JERRY BEAR LIVES, MAN!!

Posted by J.F. Whitaker on Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 8:49 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: