Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Red Bridge

I've always been fascinated by suicide. I'm not fascinated in a romantic sense or even a pejorative sense. It's just something that goes beyond my reason and process of thought. That alone will always make the subject interesting to me. We all think of the standard questions. What drives a person to do that? How does one get to that point in their lives? Could I ever get to the point of wanting to end it all by my own hand? These are all questions that most people ask themselves at one point in their lives. The questions are asked by those who have some casual wonderment in the subject or possibly because they feel like they have overstayed their welcome.

Some people that read this may think that it's a morbid thought and not worth the time to take to examine such a topic. This splits people into three main categories that I classify regarding many subjects. Those that want to learn something and open their mind to a question or topic and embrace it for what it is, those that immediately close themselves off and do not wish to think of such things and pretend that such horror does not exist in their world and, of course, the indifferent. Meaning the people that just don't care one way or another because they are too wrapped up in their own lives to try and understand others.

I watched a movie this evening that I knew was out there but never had the opportunity to watch. It's a movie called "The Bridge" and it was released in the fall of 2006 to much controversy, criticism and praise. Here is a quick synopsis of the film. The movie focuses on the large number of suicides that occur every year in San Francisco, California on the Golden Gate Bridge. The filmmakers interview family members of those that have killed themselves, witnesses to suicides and most shockingly, shows actual people falling to their deaths. It's very powerful with the beauty of the bridge itself set as the backdrop and contrasted against something so dark. It's moving to hear the recounting of stories of the "victims." Personally, I feel that the actual victims in these situations are those left behind. However, clearly the prevailing moments are the shots of the bridge itself and knowing what may or may not happen next with the person that they, the filmmakers, have focused on.

I'm not here to give you a description of the movie, you can find that on your own. It has left me with a certain supposition regarding my own life. I know that I am a strong person and that I'm able to pick myself up when life has kicked me in the stomach and left me on the side of the road. That no matter what happens, I have people around me that love me and care about me. They have invested time in me and my very existence. I know that doing anything would let them down. I've never contemplated suicide personally, however it is comforting to know that if things get tough I have people around me that will be there. That's not to say that I reserve judgment for those that would chose to take their own life. I've always felt it's not my place to judge anyone for anything.

I'm leaving this entry with the trailer from the movie. I recorded it on my DVR and usually I'll erase a movie after I've watched it once. For some reason I can't erase this one. It's not often that a movie or documentary will stick with me. If you have access to the Independent Film Channel that's the best way to view it for free. Either that or I'm sure it's available at Blockbuster or Netflix. It all depends which category you fall into if you decide to view it or not. It is disturbing at times, however the point of the film is to not gratuitously shock you into submission. With movies that are churned out over and over again in the mainstream, sometimes it's sort of advantageous to devour something a little more intellectually nutritious.


Stephanie

just call me a close-minded idiot then.

I don't understand why you watch this stuff. It kind of creeps me out that you do honestly.

Posted by Stephanie on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 11:50 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

Ok I officially need to stop joking around on this thing. I'm apparently not very good at it.

sorry I got ya all rilled up...

I love my crazy fiance!! :)

Posted by Stephanie on Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 2:52 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: