Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Artifacts

Current mood: anxious
Category: Life

Do you ever go back and wonder "hey, whatever happened to...?" That toy you loved as a kid, your first pet? What was your first childhood memory? My parents used to take me to the Sioux Falls Public Library all the time as a tot. I would ravage the children's book section in my courdory overalls and sit on bean bag chairs. I'd check books out on the solar system, dinosaurs, and the wilds of Africa.

My first memory of any book was a book put out in 1984. I was four years old at the time, and while this is not my first memory, it is my first of a book that really freaked me out. I loved it. The thrill of being challenged by a book, and this was the first to do so. I thought about it for the first time in decades tonight for some odd reason. I tried to Google what I thought was the title. I couldn't find it. Desperate, I tried the SF Library's online catalog. I actually found it.

Read the description. Freaky story for a four year old, no? All I remember is a kidnapping of a boy by a fat Italian looking impresario. The characters changed from people to animals when the sun changed colors. Like I said, it scared me a bit but I loved it. The illustrations by Susan Meddaugh are what really got me. I can't Google her and find those pictures either. No Wikipedia to speak of. What am I going to do? With the book being out of print I just picked it up used from an authorized seller on Barnes & Noble.com. I put it on a credit card for $8 so if I get screwed on it no big loss. At least financially. This is the apex of my existence tonight.

To me this is something. A forgotten link in the chain of my childhood. Google-proofed too. You may be able to find pictures from it, I'm not interested in putting that much of an effort forward tonight. This is treasure for me, and tonight I feel like Indiana Jones. However instead of a whip I have a Visa. It should be here in 5 to 15 days.

Currently listening :
Sky Blue Sky
By Wilco
Release date: By 15 May, 2007

11:42 PM - 1 Comments - 1 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Derek

Even at 4 years of age you were rather odd i must say, but i still luv ya all the same dude. Hell at 4 i was too busy playing with Transformers and G.I.Joe to care much about books, so i solute you for being a child prodigy.

Posted by Derek on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 12:56 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: