Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Where I Get All Jack Handy On Your Ass

Current mood: thoughtful
Category: Life

What do you think about in your spare time? This is what travels through the corners of my little mind…

Do you ever wonder what would happen if gravity stopped working for like 2 seconds? I know what would happen, but I think about what may happen if for some strange reason this anomaly in the physical world would occur. Do you know how fast the world rotates? Over 1000 miles per hour! That's pretty fucking fast and if the thing, in this case gravity, that keeps us strapped to the Earth suddenly decided to take a couple ticks off, we'd all be flung into God knows what wherever we happened to be at that moment.

Do you ever wonder what will happen in big cities in the next one hundred years in relation to urban and suburban migration/development? In Kansas City, for instance, the "nice" homes that mostly affluent people (at the time) lived in during the 1920's are now the "inner city" or where a good portion of low income families or individuals reside. What about the houses that were build in the 70's, 80' or even 90's? Will those houses that are nice now and part of nice neighborhoods be part of the ever widening inner cities across America, let alone Kansas City in the future? Downtown areas are now being revitalized and marketed to single twenty something's before they start a family and move out to the suburbs because they need to put their kids in a good school district. Will this follow suit and follow behind the spreading lower income homes? Will the historic landscape of most cities be able to be preserved over the next 100 years?

Will I see a black or female president in my lifetime? Which one is more likely a black male, or a white female? Or will the first minority president be of Latino decent due to the widening gap among minorities hailing from predominantly Latino backgrounds? I think that the traditional party system in this country is in need of a major shakeup. I'm not saying there should not be political parties, because that is just plain silliness. I'm just saying there has not been a significant party shift in several decades. Anyway, back to my original questions. I find if sort of funny that spokespeople in the black community in our country discount the fact that Democratic Presidential Candidate Barack Obama is not "black enough" to be considered "one of them." Here is the most legitimate candidate that is black in American history and these "spokespeople" want to immediately point out that he is not of Western African decent and not part of the slave trade from the 1500's to the 1800's. His father is descended from a goat herder in Kenya. Obviously this man is no "brother" of ours. Who else then? Jesse Jackson and Hymetown? Al Sharpton? Those are almost half-joking type candidates, but even more serious individual hopefuls like Alan Keyes fell short in ways that do not even compare to the buzz surrounding Obama. My thoughts? I wouldn't split hairs on the Junior Senator from Illinois in his bid for President in '08 and one of my personal early front runners for my vote.

Have you ever wondered how homeless people become homeless? I know that not many of us have ever personally talked to a homeless person to learn, but I'm sure it may be interesting. Of course stories and circumstances will change, but is there an overall or common thread between the homeless population in our country? The Pitch (a local paper in KC) ran an interesting story on the homeless in my town. Most of them they interviewed have cars and homes and will purposely pander on the street for your change. That's right, they will sit outside all day collecting spare cash then hop in their car and go home for the night. This hardly constitutes "being homeless." I'm not saying that the homeless issue isn't s a problem, because it is. Stories like this make you question people committing even some of the most desperate of acts. To give some answers to my question though, do you ever think that a person who is at least high school educated that became down on his/her luck can't find a job and loses their home/apartment/domicile and do not have anyone to help them along the lines of friends or family? I guess I find the reasons people are without jobs or homes interesting.

I'm not going to talk about the Virginia Tech shooting directly, however I would like to address the fallout discussion from what happened in Blacksburg, Virginia. Do we need more gun control in this country? The short and seemingly logical answer would be yes. However, do you think that the student would have been able to kill students (or as many) without a gun? Killing and murder has been going on for centuries and it will continue on for centuries. Doesn't it make sense that if there were less guns there would be less gun violence in this country? Does the second amendment really apply to today's world? Do we really need guns around to protect us? Let's stay within the context of the authors of the Constitution. Do we need to protect our lands from invading hordes/redcoats? Do we need to protect our village or town from Indian tribes that are pissed off because we are taking their land? Do we go out into the wild and kill what we need to eat for dinner? Our country was founded and is rooted in violence. It is a part of our make up, that much we cannot deny. I believe in the right to keep and bear arms. I do not believe in the argument that it is necessary to own assault rifles or sub machine guns and place them in your home. With children residing in them. So, do you ever wonder what the crime rate or violence would be like in this country if gun control were tighter? If the National Rifle Association wasn't so entrenched in a certain powerful political party? Fuck you Magnum P.I. Fuck you fake Moses.

Do you ever wonder and debate in your head if racial double standards really exist? In light of the Don Imus fiasco, do you think Al Sharpton would be fired from his radio program if he called a predominantly white female basketball team "blonde headed bimbo's?" Don't get me wrong, I believe Don Imus made a mistake that was both stupid and morally retarded. He's an old radio jock dinosaur that should have been put to pasture a long time ago. Saying that, this is what I took away from this whole hoopla. Other than racism is still a problem in our country. For your consideration: The Waynes Brothers dressing up in white make up and prosthetics and awkwardly acting white = funny movie and Hollywood box office success. What would happen if Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson dressed in black make up and spoke in broken Ebonics and called the movie "Black Ho's?" You could just about get a whiff of the uproar if this hit the theaters or the television in the form of a preview. It would be a degradation and rightfully so, but why is it not the same when the shoe is on the other foot? Just curious. Is it because of the whole minority vs. majority argument? Personally speaking, I found the premise of the movie to be offensive and to this day I refuse to watch it. Also, this is by no means is me crying out for help in a racial undertone type sentiment. I have black friends and no, I'm not taking a Michael Richards defense, because I do get rather upset when people use the N word in jokes or just speech in general. To me the word is loaded with hate and only used these days as an abomination of the English language. People did not choose the color of their skin. That's all I'll say.

That may be a lot to think about, but it's just a glimpse into what swirls around in my head every day. Nice, huh? I bet you are that much happier for sharing in my thoughts. Leave yours in my comments box.

Currently listening :
We, the Vehicles
By Maritime
Release date: By 18 April, 2006

7:37 PM - 8 Comments - 6 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Stephanie

style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(153, 51, 153); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">I don't think there should be political parties, but you know that, and you already think I'm dumb, but whatever. That's what I think. NO MORE POLITICAL PARTIES. Well ok, they can party if they want to, but come on, why can't we all party together? It's much more fun afterall...
style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(153, 51, 153); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(153, 51, 153); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(153, 51, 153); font-family: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Bored at work eh?

Posted by Stephanie on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 8:04 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

oh for petes sake....

here's what I said up there... or down there... i can't remember the order they put these comments in...

I don't think there should be political parties, but you know that, and you already think I'm dumb, but whatever. That's what I think. NO MORE POLITICAL PARTIES. Well ok, they can party if they want to, but come on, why can't we all party together? It's much more fun afterall...

Posted by Stephanie on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 at 8:05 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Derek

size=4>But Ben Stiller did dress up in black make-up in the movie Zoolander, which also has Owen Wilson in it as well, so i dont know that that particular example works or not, but i get what you are saying. Just my little two sense here now. War will never go away, fighting, killing, murder, ignorance, stupidity, racism, people fearing what they dont understand or know and trying to tear it down for just that reason, will always be around. Sadly its become a dark part of what it means to be human. I guess i have a particularly 'special' view of things with all the comics i read, because when you get down to the bottom of things, the most underlying tone of them in the last few decades has been tolerance and acceptance of what is different. I dont consider myself racist, but i wont deny there is hate in my heart from time to time for people who probably dont deserve it, its just part of life.

Posted by Derek on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 9:30 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

Stiller dressed up in black COAL makeup in the mine scene to blend in with the cave walls to scare his dad. He didn't put black makeup on and pretend to be a black person. And the part when they dressed up as janitors at the end to disguse themselves they weren't portraying black people (or latino people) for an entire movie and labeling the movie as such, so yes, my example does work.

Posted by Zach on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 at 9:41 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MontERNa

RE: the urban/suburban thing - it's called "regentifrication" and, as always, it effs the poor in the a.

Posted by MontERNa on Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 1:14 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Zach

Not to sound like a snot but I know what it is, sheesh haha. I'm just curious as to what the affects will actually look like by the time we are in our 70's and 80's. That sort of thing is just interesting to me since I'm nerdy. It does eff the poor, and we ADVERTISE for it in KC. Aren't we nice?

Posted by Zach on Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 1:28 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


MontERNa

Lessee...in D-Town, the regentifrication has moved/is moving back urban-style, so, hmmm...when we're in our 70's and 80's, I'd say D-Town, at least, will be back out in the 'burbs. This is what the Ern predicts. ;)

Posted by MontERNa on Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 4:25 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Derek

size=4>who says im going to let you live to your 70s huh? stop thinking so much, dont you have better things to do, like live in the now, blah!

Posted by Derek on Thursday, May 03, 2007 at 7:28 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: