Monday, May 14, 2007

The Repudiated Immortals

Current mood: cynical
Category: Fashion, Style, Shopping

I think I may be the only person on MySpace with a page devoted to a major sports team, have a separate blog for said team and have an Animal Collective song on my profile at the same time. I'm a strange boy. You would think I would have a Nickelback song or something. Life is full of strange happenings, mixes, and combinations. The dichotomy of Zach may be completely different from most. I've always believed that personal appearance and taste does not dictate deeper personal expressions. I believe I've been an example of this ideal for quite some time. Just a note, I know I often write about this subject, or similar subjects, however I like to write about it so I'm sticking my tongue out at you.

I subscribe to eMusic and I also have a subscription to MLB Extra Innings. Why is this special? I don't know, really. I do know that people that I know who would order and download music off of eMusic generally as a rule do not watch as much baseball as I do. I can think of maybe two exceptions to this rule off the top of my head. Likewise, most of my more sports oriented friends have copies of the new Daughtry album. Most of my people (who don't own that particular album) would scoff at the fact I spend time and energy on people that listen to "that type of music." Once again, what you like and identify with in pop culture does not dictate what type of qualities I find endearing in a friend.

Liking Lindsay Lohan may not garner you any points in my mind of you having any semblance of musical taste, however if you are a good and honest person with at least something in common with me, liking Ms. Blowhard will not get you shutout of Le Parte de Zach. I never took French. My fiancé is my best friend. She likes some music that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Despite this we have a lot in common like our sense of humor (to a certain degree, I have a sick sensibility), attitude towards life, and we both like watching sports (also to a certain degree for her). So, just because she likes watching The Batchelor and The Notebook does not mean we cannot be compatible. She did love Hot Fuzz after all. She makes an effort to listen to some of my weirdo music (and likes a lot of it) and I try really hard not to complain when we listen to Hillary Duff. She's her own person and she doesn't care what you think. I respect that immensely.

Friday night Stephanie and I were on the hunt for a tuxedo t-shirt for her Dad's 50th birthday party. This particular leg of the ongoing journey brought us to Hot Topic. Yes, that Hot Topic. I've been in that store exactly two times before Friday. Once was to see what the hell it was all about, and the second time was to buy a Nintendo t-shirt about 5 years ago. Needless to say in my Boston Red Sox shirt and hat I stuck out like a sore thumb. The amount of makeup on some of these kids would make Robert Smith jealous. I won't even go into the irony of trying to be non-conformist whilst in Hot Topic and being a consumer. The only differences between kids that shop and Hot Topic and Abercrombie & Fitch are taste and style. Well, and the smell. I hate walking by A & F stores. Who the fuck wants to smell like that?

I didn't come out of Hot Topic empty handed, oh no. I had a strong desire to purchase something that night. I bought a blue G.I. Joe Cobra t-shirt. I unveiled it at a show the other night where my friend's band was playing. The guy at the door and all three members of said band said my shirt was awesome. Then I told my friend it was from Hot Topic, he replied by walking away in disgust. Isn't it funny how a shirt can go from cool to stupid based on where it was purchased? I know he was partially kidding but there is a shred of truth to every joke intentional or not. Buying a shirt at Hot Topic does not define who I am. Nor should you shop at a store like that looking for an identity. Listening to the band Of Montreal (who I am listening to now) does not define me either. I'm going to see Animal Collective Sunday. I'm also going to see John Mayer with Stephanie in June. I'm ok with both, and you should be too. There is more to a person than pop culture preferences. Everyone says they are searching for a deeper meaning when it pertains to life, relationships, and etcetera.

Question: How many people talk the talk and don't walk the walk? Answer: A lot.

I love The Office, I felt the need to end this on a Dwight Schrute reference for some dumb reason.

Currently listening :
Icons, Abstract Thee
By Of Montreal
Release date: By 08 May, 2007

8:14 PM - 4 Comments - 5 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Derek

COBRA!!!

Posted by Derek on Monday, May 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


J.F. Whitaker

You are such a girl. There wasn't a shred of truth in my walking away in disgust...however, there were several ounces of good beer and cheap whiskey. Yummy! Besides, it wouldn't make much since for a guy wearing GAP jeans (and underwear), an Old Navy shirt, Wal-Mart socks and Foot Locker shoes to scoff at a guy for wearing a shirt purchased at Hot Topic, would it? You doubt my intelligence and you will be thouroughly punished.

People who run around complaining/making fun of where people shop piss me off. If they would only acquire the ability to make there own clothes from scratch then I might give a shit what they think. I'll continue to shop with great convenience to my personal liking until then.

Posted by J.F. Whitaker on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 2:40 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


J.F. Whitaker

I meant "their own clothes..." and not "there own clothes..." That's it.

Posted by J.F. Whitaker on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 2:42 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Stephanie

Did you hear the news? According to Maxim Lindsay Lohan is the hottest person on earth. I saw it on CNN. So that means it's important.

Damn Hot Topic and their snappy tshirts! "I heart, heart shirts" classic.


Posted by Stephanie on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 at 7:35 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: