Monday, June 18, 2007

Missouri Zach: In the Adventure of Pre-Marriage Activity

Current mood: rejuvenated
Category: Life

This weekend was quite eventful. I kept fairly busy throughout and that's how I like to keep it. When I have an active weekend it usually bodes well for an active and productive work week. The Boston Red Sox sweeping the San Francisco Giants didn't hurt either.

Friday night after work Stephanie and I headed out to Kauffman Stadium in KC to see the Royals in action against the Florida Marlins. It was our second inter-league game in two weeks and also our second Royals win in the past two weeks. For her childhood and adult life, Stephanie had never seen a Royals win despite being to many a game and living in KC all her life. Two Fridays ago that streak was broken against the Philadelphia Phillies and a new streak began last Friday against the Marlins.

We met my friend John, his girlfriend and kid at a Wal-Mart parking lot an exit away from the Sports Complex. Parking is $9 and we wanted to save every available dollar for buck night. For those that are unaware, buck night is where stadium hot dogs, peanuts, and pop are all $1. All the money that was saved on parking and cheap dogs and nuts went immediately to beer. Our beverage of choice was not in short supply that night. Now, when you are not accustomed to drinking mass quantities of beer (not anymore, anyway) and hot dogs, the next day can be a little dicey. Saturday morning I felt like half a dog was still lodged in my chest, I talked to John and he was pretty much in the same position as me. Let this be a lesson kids, when going to a buck night in your respective baseball city, make sure to use the previous two to three weeks for conditioning.

I had to go in to work for a few hours Saturday morning. Nothing too exciting about this, other than after I got off work I stopped by Subway and made my way home to catch the recording of Friday night's game between the Sox and Giants. I couldn't stay holed up in my apartment for long, as the future Mrs. S beckoned to go look at wedding invitations. Now, to all my bachelor friends out there, be aware that when you get married and are picking out invitations to your respective weddings that it's more than just picking out the invite. You have to take into account font, color, designs, and a verse for the invitation. Then, you have to decide if you want inner envelopes, which are extra of course. Then you have to decide if you want colored liners for the outer envelope, reception cards, and thank you cards and so on. So, be ready.

When we arrived at the wedding store, I assumed there would be a few books with designs of invitations in them. How wrong I was. There were no less than 30 giant binders with all different sorts of invitation designs in them. Of course, the variety that I liked best were a little out of our price range that were ranging anywhere from $500-$700 for 150 pieces, and that was just for the invitation, not including anything I listed above that is "extra." The store owner was sure to let us know that there were a half a million combinations in the establishment. Yikes. We finally decided on a design and to the best of my knowledge we are sticking with it. Check with my better half if you truly want to stay updated on the status of our wedding invitations.

Saturday night was nice, my fiancé and I traveled up north to Zona Rosa (outdoor shopping center in KC) to eat at Bo Lings, our favorite Chinese restaurant. We always order the same thing and never finish. We always discuss the idea of just placing one order of General Tso's chicken, it's just when you're in a Chinese restaurant your eyes are much bigger than your stomach. After dinner we just retired to Stephanie's and drank something that was like a margarita for the duration. You'll have to check with Steph on the specifics of the contents of what she made. Then in initiated her into the world of Southpark The Movie. I'm sure most of my readers have seen it, however I positioned it to her as part comedy, part musical. She did know that the score was nominated for an Oscar in 2000. As much as she does not want to admit it, she is becoming a bona fide Southpark fan.

With yesterday being Father's Day, a holiday that the company Stephanie works for invented, we spent a majority of the day with her family. The rest of the day consisted of talking to my friend Jason, doing laundry, and watching the final episode of "The Price Is Right." I ran home quick to get ready for the day and grab my laundry and made it back to Stephanie's in time to get most of my clothes done before we left for her Grandfather's house. I watched a little Formula One racing, which I am slowly getting addicted to. I'm starting to like all kinds of motor sports lately and I'm not sure why. Stephanie made my favorite kind of brownies for desert also. Have you ever had the chocolate with Jif Peanut Butter brownies? Good God they should be illegal.

Anyway, time with Stephanie's Dads and Mothers side of the family was anything and everything you could expect. It's summer, so we had fried chicken with sides and a wide array of deserts. Stephanie's Grandfather (on her Dad's side) got a Laz-y-boy from his kids, which he promptly told the entire housefull of people to take back. I guess he does this a lot. Stephanie's Dads family is Italian, so I feel right at home when I'm over there. Stephanie's Moms side of the family is also part Italian, however they seem to be missing the element that makes Italian family events chaotic, so that leg of the journey was relatively quiet. They had just purchased a new refridgerator. It was big and black. Exciting.

Afterwards we hung out at Stephanie's apartment again, she took a nap while I ravaged iTunes and Google to find a Rolling Stones song that I could not remember the title to for the life of me. After she woke up we stopped at my place for a bit and then went to Sonic and had burgers for dinner. Stephanie said she was craving them and when she is craving something, we usually partake. I've always been scared when a woman uses the phrase "I've been craving…" in a sentence because the stereotypical thought is that is a precursor to finding out said woman is pregnant. After I dismissed that as nonsense, we went back to watch last weeks episode of "How I Met Your Mother" and "The Price Is Right." It's sad to see Bob Barker getting old. He's like the Dick Clark of game show hosts, he's supposed to live forever.

After I took Stephanie home I came back to my apartment and adjusted the look of my sports blogs, read for a little while and retired for the day. There my friends, is an exclusive look into the exciting weekend of a pre-married man. Hope you enjoyed yourself, because I sure did.

Currently listening :
Person Pitch
By Panda Bear
Release date: By 05 April, 2007

4:43 PM - 1 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove

Stephanie

What's South Park?

New refrigerators ARE exciting, what are you talking about!?

I actually felt pretty good after my vat of nacho cheese and 1.25 hotdogs. Shocking actually.

See ya in a few!

Posted by Stephanie on Monday, June 18, 2007 at 8:41 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]

No comments: